Here is your midweek jetpack of Amazon seller news, updates, and other useful clicks for your e-commerce business…
Generate a Full Product Listing from a Single Photo on eBay
You can now use eBay’s new AI tool to generate a full product listing from a single photo.
Amazon is also testing AI that’ll allow you to generate titles, descriptions, and bullet points for select products, but it will work from a list of keywords rather than a photo.
60% of Businesses Now Sell on Amazon
According to Feedvisor’s 2023 key ecommerce findings report, Amazon remains a driving force of success for many businesses in the US.
Ecommerce Leaders to Host Huge Seller Events This Month
Here are some other worthwhile statistics from the report:
- Hybrid sellers (selling as both 1P and 3P) now make up 74% of Amazon sellers, up 40% y-o-y.
- Despite inflation, 44% of brands have seen an increase in sales.
- 57% of businesses are optimistic about the outlook of ecommerce this year.
- 41% of businesses are advertising throughout the year
- Increased competition, supply chain logistics, and increased fees are the top 5 challenges that brands are facing.
You can download the full graphic report here.
FTC Antitrust Lawsuit Still Looming
The complaint accuses Amazon of tricking consumers into joining its Prime program without their agreement and enforcing unfair rules on third-party sellers regarding pricing, advertising, and shipping. This antitrust lawsuit could potentially lead to the dismantling of some parts of Amazon’s operations, and opening up more opportunity for third-party sellers.
TikTok Chokes Out Shopify Integration
TikTok is severing its ties with Shopify’s Storefront service starting September 12. This major shift will centralize all sales on TikTok Shop, directing away traffic that previously went to external eCommerce sites and independent websites.
Launched in 2020, this partnership previously allowed sellers to manage TikTok campaigns through Shopify and even set up mini-storefronts on TikTok profiles.
TikTok is focused on becoming a self-sufficient commerce hub, with aspirations to match its Chinese counterpart Douyin’s projected $200 billion merchandising volume by 2028.
Read the full story here.
UPS to Double Peak Season Surcharges
Just 10 days after FedEx announced its huge price hikes, UPS followed suit and announced that it was implementing its “demand surcharge” from October 1, 2023 through January 13, 2024 with an increase of nearly 100%.
Also, UPS will raise rates by 5.9% starting December 26, 2023, citing ongoing expansion and capability enhancements as reasons for the rate hike. UPS has not released specifics and only provides an overview of the average rate increases on its website.
AI Caramba! This Week in AI + Ecomm
- Walmart’s AI Push: According to Walmart’s CEO Doug McMillon, Walmart’s AI push will focus on three key areas: personalization for customers, associate operations, and supply chain optimization.
- AI-Optimized Advertising Bids on Amazon, Walmart, and Beyond: Ben Rey, Chief Revenue Officer of Teikametrics, explains how predictive AI is optimizing advertising bids on Amazon, Walmart, and other ecommerce platforms.
- AI Product Development: Deepam Mishra, Amazon Web Services Senior Advisor to Startups and AI expert, explains how AI will revolutionize all aspects of the product development process and how startups and SMBs should prepare for it.
Important Amazon Updates for Yo’ Bad Seller Self
Higher Capacity Limits for October
Amazon announced that it is increasing estimated capacity limits for most sellers this October to ensure that products are properly placed in the right fulfillment centers.
On the flipside, Amazon is lowering capacity limits this November as its fulfillment teams will be focusing on processing customer orders to ensure faster delivery speeds. On average, estimated capacity limits for November provide enough storage for six months of inventory.
If you need additional capacity, you may request to increase your limit with the Capacity Manager.
Updated FBA Removals Policy
Make sure you check your settings for disposal versus return in your Automated Unfulfillable Settings. If you have not selected a removal option by November 1, it will be automatically set to “Immediate Disposal”.
New “Similar Products” Dashboard Enables Competitive Pricing
Amazon recently rolled out its new ‘Similar Products” dashboard which enables you to identify, compare, and track the prices of up to five similar products to your Amazon listing from your Manage Inventory page on Seller Central.
Learn more about Similar Product Pricing here.
Free Certifications through Supplier Gateway
In line with the country’s celebration of National Hispanic Heritage Month (September 15 – October 15), all diverse-owned and small businesses can get free certifications through Supplier Gateway. Certifications can increase your visibility and increase your sales by as much as 50%.
This Week in Seller School
Here is a roundup of learning resources for this week:
- How to Sell on Amazon Canada by Jungle Scout
- Unraveling the Mystery of Amazon Sales Down: Solutions to Rebound by Advertisemint
- Amazon’s Ad Report Data Timing: Shelf Life of Advertising Insights Explained by sellerapp
- ChatGPT, AI & Amazon Use Cases by The Amazon Seller Podcast Private Label Show
- What is the Best Way to Fix Low Sales for My Amazon PPC Campaign by Ad Badger
- The Ultimate Price Wars Survival Guide for Amazon Sellers by Feedvisor
Upcoming Seller Events📍
Here are a few upcoming industry events that you might be interested in. Slick that hair back and start mingling, playa!
Amazon Ads Holiday Summit (September 26, 2023, 9:00 am PST) – Virtual
Learn sponsored ad tips and tactics to help unlock your brand’s potential this holiday season.
State of the Union – Q3 Recap and Holiday Outlook (September 26, 2023, 11:00 AM ET) – Virtual
Delve into the latest trends and shifts in the retail landscape.
Chicago eCommerce Summit (September 26, 2023) – Chicago, IL
“A one-day gathering of Chicago’s eCommerce experts and decision-makers across retailers, brands, merchants, and solution providers.”
RISE Amazon Sellers Conference (October 9-11, 2023) – Miami, FL
RISE will bring you the latest insights, trends, and tactics that will help you stay ahead of the Amazon curve.
Seller Velocity Conference (October 11-12, 2023) – New York City, NY
2 days focused on optimizing performance to drive brand growth
Amazon Ads Unboxed (October 24-26, 2023) – New York City, NY
Learn about Amazon’s newest solutions and innovations to help brands connect with their customers, expand their business, and prepare for the future.
Eclimb Summit (November 2, 2023) – Austin, TX
“Bridge the gap between Amazon and Ecomm for D2C.”
AMZ Innovate (November 13-14, 2023) – New York City, NY
Other Quick Clicks
- 40 best Amazon sellers to follow on Twitter (X) by entre/resource
- Amazon Market Watch: During a sober curious summer, searches for alcohol alternatives grow as much as 580% by Jungle Scout
- How Amazon Go is transforming retail by Tech Bullion
- Amazon streamlines picking with “Hercules” robot by Chain Store Age
Thank you for reading. If you have any questions, comments or violent reactions, let us know below!
About The Authors