Here is your midweek jetpack of Amazon seller news, updates, and other useful clicks for your e-commerce business…
TikTok Wooing Chinese Merchants with Cost-Free US Marketplace
TikTok’s pitch to Chinese merchants: a cost-free US marketplace.
The pitch is alluring. Aside from access to its growing market of US shoppers, TikTok is offering a cost free marketplace – free listings, shipping, zero commissions and even free warehousing.
TikTok’s very aggressive method of building up its marketplace has the potential to undercut Amazon and gain some ground against chief rivals Temu and Shein.
TikTok is planning to roll out its US marketplace in several month’s time, and the inevitable showdown with Amazon, Shein, and Temu presents a serious challenge with lucrative rewards.
Will the US marketplace also be cost-free to US merchants?
With platforms like Shein, TikTok, Facebook, and Instagram keen on evolving into powerful marketplaces, things are about to go wild in the US ecommerce ecosystem in the coming months.
Read the full story here.
Will There be an Influx of Third-Party Sellers on Shein Soon?
Shein is forging an Amazon-like marketplace, recently partnering with U.S. fashion retailer Forever 21. This partnership allows Shein to integrate shop-in-shops and in-store returns at Forever 21 locations and signals an intent to diversify its offerings beyond its own manufactured goods.
The company has already launched a third-party marketplace in Brazil and the U.S., aiming to include renowned U.S. brands like Forever 21. This move might lead to a surge in third-party sellers on Shein, reminiscent of Amazon’s model.
Read the full story here.
Amazon Price Fixer Gets 18 Months in Jail
An Amazon seller from New York, along with four other individuals, was found guilty of participating in a conspiracy to fix the prices of DVDs and Blu-Ray discs sold in the Amazon marketplace.
Victor Btesh, a New York native, was sentenced to 18 months in prison, while co-conspirators Emmanuel Hourizadeh, Raymond Nouvahian, and Morris Sutton were each sentenced to serve one month in prison. They, as well as the companies they own, were also meted out hefty fines to pay.
According to court documents, the defendants and other co-conspirators agreed to raise and maintain the prices of DVDs and Blu-Ray discs sold through Amazon marketplace storefronts, resulting in those products being sold at collusive and non-competitive prices.
Tsk, tsk, tsk…..
In short, don’t coordinate your prices online with other sellers to maximize profits. 🙂
Read the full story here.
AI Caramba! This Week in AI + Ecomm
- AI Generated Tags: TikTok has joined its tech peers in regulating AI-generated content as it has notified its users that they will need to tag AI-generated content in the app, or risk having it removed by moderators.
- AI Captcha: First Insight, a global leader in Voice of the Customer (VoC) retail-decision making solutions, will use Google’s Captcha and reCaptcha authentication technology to integrate it into its Voice of the Customer (VoC) retail-decision making solutions to ensure the integrity of customer interactions and mitigate the threats posed by an increased use of AI, malicious bots, and identity theft.
- GPT Support Prompts: This ChatGPT prompt will have you crafting emails to Seller Support like a complete pro.
- AI Positive? According to a UK study conducted by SAP Emarsys, only 41% of UK shoppers believe that AI is having a positive impact on their retail experiences. 70%, however, prefer brands that offer personalized recommendations, a common use case for AI in retail.
Important Amazon Updates for Yo’ Bad Seller Self
206 New Product Listing Attributes for 199 Product Types Required after September 12, 2023
For new product listings classified under 199 product types, 206 new product listing attributes will be required by Amazon after September 12, 2023.
Click here for the full list of product types and attributes.
New listings for the included product types will require the new attribute values otherwise it won’t be added to the Amazon catalog. The new product listing attributes won’t be required for active listings.
USPS Ground Advantage Added as a Shipping Option
On August 24th, Amazon updated its shipping label program to include USPS Ground Advantage. You may now choose USPS Ground Advantage when you purchase Amazon Buy shipping labels. Existing shipping templates will automatically update to the equivalent USPS Ground Advantage ship method over the coming weeks.
On the other hand, if you use third-party order management tools or your own software to automate order fulfillment, you may need to manually update the shipping method name to ensure you can purchase USPS labels.
Learn more about USPS Ground Advantage here.
Read the full story here.
No More Sexy Time! New Image Policy for Adult DVDs, Books, Magazines, and Calendars
Amazon recently updated its listing image guidelines for adult DVDs, books, magazines, and calendars.
Amazon now strictly prohibits any listings or product detail images that feature explicit sexual imagery.
You may view the updated guidelines here.
Product listings which contain images that violate Amazon’s new policy will be restricted in search or suppressed starting September 27, 2023.
New, Simplified Process for Creating Promotions
Amazon has streamlined and made the process of creating promotions simpler and easier.
Take note that since August 21, 2023, you can no longer be able to edit or create new product selections using Brand, Browse node, and advanced product selection options.
Here are the changes:
- Single-tier promotions – Amazon has standardized customer messaging displayed on the detail page in checkout and for purchased items.
- Multiple promotions on the same item – display precedence is automated to display the most discounted promotion to your customers first.
Promotions can now run for as long as 180 days and can be created 90 days in advance.
Active and pending promotions will not be affected by these changes.
This Week in Seller School
Here is a roundup of learning resources for this week:
- Mastering Holiday Pricing Strategies: Tips for Amazon Sellers by Feedvisor
- Understanding Your Amazon ACoS and ROAS by Seller Engine
- Ace Your Amazon Creative Game with Our Comprehensive Guide by eStore Factory
- Decoding Amazon Buy Box Enigma: FBA Subscribe and Save by Bqool
- Amazon’s Vine Program for Sellers: What Is It? And Is It Worth It? by Jungle Scout
- How to Transition from Sourcing One-Offs to Sourcing Replens for Lasting Success by Full-Time FBA
- Insights on Research Validation and Data-Driven Approach by The Smartest Amazon Seller
- 15 Hacks to Supercharge Your Amazon Business by Seller Sessions
Upcoming Seller Events📍
Here are a few upcoming industry events that you might be interested in. Slick that hair back and start mingling, playa!
Amazon Accelerate (September 13-14, 2023) – Seattle, Washington
Amazon’s premiere annual seller conference.
Chicago eCommerce Summit (September 26, 2023) – Chicago, IL
“A one-day gathering of Chicago’s eCommerce experts and decision-makers across retailers, brands, merchants, and solution providers.”
RISE Amazon Sellers Conference (October 9-11, 2023) – Miami, FL
RISE will bring you the latest insights, trends, and tactics that will help you stay ahead of the Amazon curve.
Seller Velocity Conference (October 11-12, 2023) – New York City, NY
2 days focused on optimizing performance to drive brand growth
Amazon Ads Unboxed (October 24-26, 2023) – New York City, NY
Learn about Amazon’s newest solutions and innovations to help brands connect with their customers, expand their business, and prepare for the future.
AMZ Innovate (November 13-14, 2023) – New York City, NY
The ultimate Amazon summit – learn about never- before-seen tactics and gain some hands-on-experience with today’s brightest and boldest Amazon sellers
Other Quick Clicks
- Amazon delivery drivers in Denver undergo unique training
- Fairmarkit and Amazon Business collaborate to streamline procurement for enterprises
- TikTok, Amazon, Google, and more scramble before launch of EU’s tech laws
- TMA: Amazon is tops in cultural “resonance” among consumers
Thank you for reading. If you have any questions, comments or violent reactions, let us know below!
About The Authors